'Su Nuraxi': Nuragic Village Of Barumini 0 Comments
The Gabbiano Azzurro Hotel & Suites’ guest wishing to take a day trip, 260 km far and 3 and a half hours by car, could visit the very interesting and unique "Su Nuraxi" Archaeological Area in Burumini, province of the Middle Campidano. Along the way you meet Macomer (interesting town for its San Pantaleo church dated 1635 and for the important nuragic sites surrounding it), then Oristano (in the region named after it, Campidano di Oristano, a town of medieval origin, a long time capital of the Giudicato di Arborea).
An hour drive from Oristano is Barumini and its rich in history and traditional territory. The nuragic village of Su Nuraxi, the settlement of the man from the Nuragic Age, is its most important testimony. Created since the fifteenth century BC, and developed in the following centuries, its specificity has earned it the recognition in 1997 of UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.
The renovation of Casa Zapata, an ancient and beautiful noble residence of the Sardinian-Aragonese barons of the mid-1500s built on the ancient nuragic structure, was undertaken In the '90s. During the excavation, another nuragic wonder came to light, Su Nuraxi 'e Cresia, which was added to the Archaeological Area of Burumini. Today the Spanish residence with its splendid gardens is home to the "Casa Zapata Museum Centre" which is divided into three units: Archaeological, Historical, Archival and Ethnographic, with the aim of promoting Barumini and enhancing the Province of Medio Campidano through educational and informative workshops for schools.
Su Nuraxi, in its completeness, conveys us better than any other Sardinian nuragic sites with more than one tower, the history that dates back to more than 3000 years ago when, to defend the territory, they were erected for a military function very similar to the medieval bastions. Among the other functions of the nuraghe was that of a lookout post over the sea, to monitor the cultivated fields and the herds. Later they were used by the population who enriched the place with circular houses and sacred areas for community rituals and assemblies. Other environments are supposed having been workshops, kitchens and centres for processing agricultural products.
The discovery of Su Nuraxi 'e Cresia in Barumini tells us that the nuraghe and the village were connected to other nuragic sites. The excavations that occurred between 1950 and 1957 brought to light vestiges of tools, weapons, pottery and ornamental objects.
“An archaeologist always digs animated by a double tension. He never knows if he finds what he seeks or if he seeks what he finds” (Henning Mankell)
Written by Daniela Toti